The rate and acceleration of change in our world is hard to comprehend. We are constantly developing as humans, but this progression isn’t always as ground-breaking as starting to use tools or developing language. Rather, we are evolving emotionally.
This issue is very special; through our features and editorials we are diving into bigger subjects head on; Lust for Light, a new book from Phaidon, looks at the technical and philosophical meaning of light art as a medium in its own right.
We also highlight this year’s Foam Talent Call, which includes 20 photographers changing and questioning the very landscape of image-making in the 21st century. Daniel Shea, Durimel and Dima Komarov feature.
Meanwhile, Phaidon’s Living in the Desert surveys buildings in some of the most inhospitable landscapes on earth, and we consider fashion as a platform for talent development through Collection of Style (COS).
In photography, we present seven outstanding practitioners whose works are redefining genre. Architecture, immersive design and portraiture are included, traversing fine art, CGI and fashion.
To find out more or to subscribe, click here.
1. Marta Bevacqua, Editorial realised for Grazia Magazine France. Model: Emma Laird @ Ford. Courtesy of the artist.
2. Barry Underwood, Drill, 2015.
3. From the series Frères d’une île pas très proche, 2018. © Durimel, courtesy of the artists.
4. AutonomeForme Architettura, Deserti Tascabili DJ Complex #2, 2017, Djerba, Tunisia. Image credit: © Archive AutonomeForme .
5. Rebecca Reeve, Untitled #16, (Through Looking). Courtesy of the artist and Upfor Gallery.