Equilibrium is defined as a state of total control, where opposing forces work in harmony to create a period of total calm. In a world of social media and constant connectivity, emotional balance can often feel just out of reach. Omar Torres’ (b. 1977) photographic series Ensayos del Colapso builds on humanity’s tireless attempts to switch off and embrace peace. Everyday objects and natural elements are depicted in tense balancing acts, caught on the brink of collapse. Fraying ropes hold up heavy black boulders; teapots teeter on the edge of stacked books; tomes of grey novels sup- port half-filled glasses of water. Each object depends on one another to coexist in this taut relationship, speaking to the ways we rely upon each other, and indeed, ourselves. Torres’ minimal compositions move beyond intense feelings of anxiety and resistance to uncover an optimal state: as beautiful as it is impertinent. omartorreswork.com.
1. Omar Torres, Strain, (2019), from Essays on Collapse
2. Omar Torres, Compensation System, (2019), from Essays on Collapse.
3. Omar Torres, Bodies, (2019), from Essays on Collapse.
4. Omar Torres, Reflection on Weight, (2019), from Essays on Collapse.
5. Omar Torres, Essay #5, (2019), from Essays on Collapse.
6. Omar Torres, Balance, (2019), from Essays on Collapse.