Abidjan is a city on the Côte d’Ivoire in West Africa. It is the fourth most populated city on the continent, with approximately 4.7 million inhabitants, and one of the largest French-speaking locations in Africa. Abidjan is a cultural crossroads, characterised by a high level of urbanisation and industrialisation. Malick Kebe (@from_abidjan) is just one of the city’s rising talents. Kebe has a strong understanding of shape, colour and concept, producing evocative storytelling through minimal subjects and limited production. “Even if I had the means, I would still shoot on iPhone. It pushes me to go further than with a pro camera. I want to show people that it’s not enough to have a great device, but it is enough to have a creative eye.” Photoshop, Lightroom, VSCO and Snapseed are the only other tools used to build “a universe that mixes modernity and African origins.” Apple and Forbes Africa are amongst the industry leaders to support Kebe’s work.
1. Malick Kebe, 60s Hair. Courtesy of the artist.
2. Malick Kebe, Movement (serie 003). Courtesy of the artist.
3. Malick Kebe, Movement (serie 002). Courtesy of the artist
4. Malick Kebe, Black Don’t Crack. Courtesy of the artist.
5. Malick Kebe, The Red Light. Courtesy of the artist.
6. Malick Kebe, Passion of Water. Courtesy of the artist.
7. Malick Kebe, Blinded. Courtesy of the artist.
8. Malick Kebe, Orange is Trendy. Courtesy of the artist.
9. Malick Kebe, Atypical. Courtesy of the artist.