More than 80% of the ocean is yet to be charted, explored – or even seen – by human beings. What lies in the deepest places of the world remains unknown; about 230,000 marine species have been recorded, but it’s estimated that there are over two million. Alexej Sachov (b. 1972) is a passionate diver. In Hotel Guests Underwater (2022), the Ukrainian- German artist documents an emerging species of aquatic creature: the result of chance collisions between plastic pollutants in the deep. Yellow polythene bags, rainbow fishing nets and transparent bottles drift together and pull apart, echoing shapes and colours of familiar living creatures. Viewers can pick out silhouettes of jellyfish, seahorses and other animals from the debris. Each detailed shot is made whilst submerged beneath the waves, then selected from hundreds of outtakes. Sachov’s underwater worlds, with twinkling night skies, are a stark reminder of omnipresent climate emergency.
1. Alexej Sachov, from Hotel Guests Underwater (2022)
2. Alexej Sachov, Guard, from Hotel Guests Underwater (2022).
3. Alexej Sachov, Ballerina, from Hotel Guests Underwater (2022).
4. Alexej Sachov, Winner, from Hotel Guests Underwater (2022).
5. Alexej Sachov, Ghost Rider, from Hotel Guests Underwater (2022).
6. Alexej Sachov, Bobby, from Hotel Guests Underwater (2022).