Evan Sheehan has a background in video and design – skills and experience deftly called upon in the planning and production of bold still images. These photographs – which seem at once spontaneous and deeply choreographed – call upon eye-popping primary colours and dynamic environments. Here, portraits are mechanisms for storytelling, inviting viewers into worlds of transformation, obscurity and intrigue. Beyond this, Sheehan achieves visual balance and coherence through centring his subjects in subtle and satisfying ways. A model pulls an asymmetric jumper over his head whilst standing directly in a dipped grass bank. Frosted glass splices an anonymous figure straight down the middle. A yellow stripe cuts diagonally across a concrete frame, a shadow casting a perpendicular line backwards. These are images made, truly, by design. Sheehan has worked with the likes of Apple, Nike and Veuve Clicquot, and has been featured with VSCO and Vogue.
1. Evan Sheehan, Dreaming Of , 2020. Collaboration with Alex Wallbaum. Location: Chicago, IL.
2. Evan Sheehan, Peek, 2017. Model: Caroline Woodford. Location: Los Angeles, CA.
3. Evan Sheehan, Legs, 2018. Location: Chicago, IL.
4. Evan Sheehan, Braids, 2017. Model: Christina John. Location: Chicago, IL.
5. Evan Sheehan, Hands, 2017. Location: Chicago, IL.
6. Evan Sheehan, Ghost Boys, 2019. Models: Alex Wallbaum & Cody Guilfoyle. Location: New York.
7. Evan Sheehan, Kenzie, 2016. Model: Mckenzie Hanson. Location: Chicago, IL.
8. Evan Sheehan, Stomp Stomp, 2017. Model: Caroline Woodford. Location: Los Angeles, CA.
9. Evan Sheehan, Alex, 2018. Model: Alex Wallbaum. Location: New Buffalo, MI.